Table of Contents
IP is the abbreviation of Internal Protocol. This term is basically defined to be the technical format of packets as well as addressing scheme for the purpose of the computers to communicate over a network. There are so many networks who are involved in combining the IP with a higher-level protocol known as Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). This will be able to assist the user in order to set up with the virtual connection between a destination and a source. There are basically two main versions of Internet Protocol named as IPv4 and a new version called IPv6. IPv6 is known out to be the evolutionary upgrade to the Internet Protocol. IPv6 will coexist with the older IPv4 at some stages.
Definition of IPv4
IPv4 is one of the most famous and fourth revision of the Internet Protocol. This network is involved in terms of identifying the devices on top of the network all the way through the addressing system. This internet protocol has been especially designed for the sake in the interconnected systems of packet-switched computer communication networks. It is considered to be one of the most prominent and widely used internet protocol for the connected devices. It do make the use of 32-bit address scheme in order to permit the total of 2^32 addresses. As the internet world has been making some progress it has been estimated that the amount of the IPv4 addresses will eventually run out. This is mainly because of the reason that each single device including computers, laptops and smart phones do demand for the address to get connected with the internet. There are various kinds of ways in order to configure IPv4 in the middle of all kinds of devices such as manual and automatic configurations. It is hence based on the best-effort model. This model makes sure that they neither provide the delivery nor avoidance of duplicate delivery.
Definition of IPv6
On the next we will be having a discussion about iPV 6! It is even known with the name of IPng. It is coming out to be one of the newest versions of the Internet Protocol (IP) that has been reviewed in the IETF standards committees. Its features are much improved and best as compare to the iPV 4. With this internet protocol a new upgrading system has been put forward in the internet protocol. Its main purpose is to permit the internet to grow in some stead way just as both in the terms of hosts connected and the total amount of data traffic transmitted. As we mentioned earlier that in order to get connect with the internet all the devices i.e. laptops, computer and smart phones demands for the address. Therefore to avoid the risk of facing some issues in greater demand of addresses iPV6 has been developed for the users. This network is not included with the network address translation. There is the access of auto-configuration. You will not be facing any kind of private address collisions. It has the better and much improved multicast routing. It has a simple header format and offer with much better efficient routing. It has been best designed within the finest built-in authentication and privacy support. It is encountered with flexible options plus extensions.
Differences in a Nutshell
- IPv6 addresses are mentioned in the 128-bit IP address that is all written in hexadecimal. They are usually separated by colons. If in case you are using the internet or any kind of the computer network then you will be involved in using the IPv4 packets.
- IPv4 makes the use of 32-bit source as well as destination address fields. You don’t need to get worried even if the internet addresses are get short in amount because Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is here with IPv6.The IPv6 address fields are 128-bits.
- One of the main reasons in order to travel to iPV 6 is that it has a larger address space. But still there are many more benefits that are captured within the iPV 6 that make the iPV4 and iPV 6 complete different in functioning from one another.
- Plus here we would like to mention that the movement to IPv6 on a global scale is inevitable. It has been made possible for both the IPv4 and IPv6 in terms to exchange traffic but still there are some hurdles that are being figured out in the network configuration and the type of network traffic.
- All in all the main prominent difference between the two of them comes in the face of the address space. Packets in support of both IPv4 and IPv6 are variable and you can find them up to the limit of 64 Kbytes. All these differences are enough to explain out the differences between these two internet protocols.
Many terms can give the impression that they are different from each other but in reality they are the same. The two terms discussed above IPV4 and IPV6 are same but just the new and old versions with a few changes that have been made to help them work better. Hopefully you will have been able to understand them by reading this article.