Table of Contents
There are different computer languages which are present for the user to create different programs and application which can benefit other people and also to develop the computer platform more and more with the addition of latest software. Few of the most common used languages include C, C++ and C# which have been used for a long period of time and have helped in creating better understanding of various features. There are many differences between these languages while the two most common ones are C and C#, this article will look at how they both vary from each other and what features both of them possess. The main difference between these two languages is the name. C is known as the C basic language while C# is known as C sharp. That is the basis of the other difference. C is the first language among all these and is considered as the standard of language. It is simple to use while has basic features which can be used for various applications. C sharp, on the other hand, is more advanced than all the previous versions and is difficult to use for a common person, it was developed so that Microsoft can compete with its competitor Java, in creating latest applications and that their software is used for them. Another difference between these two languages is that C is able to support the default arguments while C# does not take into consideration, the default arguments. There is no framework when we talk about the basic version while .Net framework is present for the C sharp language. Since C is the basic version, there were many shortcomings in it and therefore can lead to several errors while using the program. This is not the case with C Sharp where the latest improvements have made sure that the program is error free. The initial version is simple to use and therefore uses basic commands such as Cin and Cout for entering and obtaining the data while the coding in C Sharp is difficult and commands like Console.WriteLine is used for inputting the data while Console.ReadLine is used for obtaining the output values. There are many other differences between these two languages as well which will be discussed in the end, while a brief description of both the types is given in the next couple of paragraphs.
Definition of C
This was the first version of languages and was developed way back in the mid-20th century with the main aim of creating computer application in a simple way which can benefit the field and create more variety. It is easier to use and anyone who has basic understanding of computer or gets initial training can use it to create different programs, it has more than 30 different keywords which can be used to create apps and to enter and obtain data. This version led to the development of C++ which was a little more advanced but based on simple features and that lead to the development of latest type C#. Even now, many operating systems are using this language to run their programs because it can easily be comprehended. That said, there are still many errors which can arise while using it and it still features many default programming principles. It is still one of the most widely used language in the world because of the level of understanding which exists and is easier to comprehend.
Definition of C#
It is known as C Sharp and is the most advanced version of programming languages of Microsoft. It was developed in order to compete with Java which had become the pinnacle language to create different apps. C# is used to create web based applications mostly and has very few uses for creating computer based applications. There are more than 80 keywords which can be used to obtain the data and creation of program and is also error free. That said, it is difficult to use and people cannot use it without extensive training. It also has .Net framework and an advancement on C++ language. The input and output values are also difficult as compared to the previous various but still lacks the killer instinct when compared to Java. It still has made its mark and is more advanced than the first version but the level of understanding is difficult for the people who are staring to learn this language.
Differences in a Nutshell
- C is known as C basic language while C# is known as C Sharp language.
- C is the first version of this form of programming while C# is the latest version.
- C is mostly used in engineering and business industry while C# is used in software creation and other similar networking purposes.
- C is mostly taught at universities while C# is mostly understood by extensive practice at higher level.
- There are many errors which can arise while using C, but there are no errors which occur while using C#.
- C was developed to create basic applications to run the system while C# was developed by Microsoft in order to compete with Java which was the leading application developer.
- C# has failed to gain the importance as compared to Java, and is also less used than the C language.
- C is simpler to use, more reliable and easily understandable while C# is complicated, advanced and has more options.
- C language is more suitable for applications which concern the computer while C# is more suitable for internet related applications.
- The total number of keywords used in C language are 32 while the number increases to 86 in case of C# which makes it a more versatile platform.
- There is also difference in input and outputs, C uses Cin and Count for the purposes respectively while C# uses Console.WriteLine is used for inputting the data while Console.ReadLine is used for obtaining the output values.
C and C# are two terms which are most commonly used languages but always creates some confusion among people who do not know much about them or have mistyped them. This article will have helped people in getting to know the main points on how they differ so they can use it properly next time.